Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Chinglish

This is not a post about odd English phrases or bad translations but rather about a play I saw when I was last in my hometown of Chicago,

The play is Chinglish by Tony Award-winning playwright David Henry Hwang and while it does include some funny or awkward English sentences and some humor at the expense of translation or language skills, that isn’t the main point. Really, I think the play is about the translated self, and how communication changes and selves change when we speak another language. As someone who spent a number of years living in another language, I could really understand the characters and their attempts to make themselves understood in a different culture/language.

Chinglish is heading to Broadway next and I definitely recommend it.

1 comment:

EP said...

That certainly reminds me of another similar word very popular over here in Germany: Denglisch.

That's Deutsch-English or pseudo-English.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denglisch