Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Translation Goals for 2009

This is Brave New Words' 300th post and since it almost coincides with the new year, I thought I'd use it to write about my translatorial goals for 2009.

First on my list is finishing my Ph.D. in translation studies. If all goes well, I'll be Dr. B.J. by the autumn.

Related to that, I want to keep working on my translation-based research. It is really fascinating to see how literary texts are modified in translation and why. I also think it is essential for translators and translation researchers to have more contact and I hope to use some of my research to bridge the gap between the practioners and the theorists.

Finally, I also hope to continue to get really interesting translation projects. One thing I love about translation is that I learn something new with each assignment. An additional benefit especially for literary translation work is the pleasure it gives me to know I am helping a talented author get a wider audience.

What are your goals for your translation practice in 2009? Whatever they are, I wish you a wonderful year, full of exciting projects!

3 comments:

Erika D. said...

Congratulations on your 300th post, B.J. (soon-to-be Dr. B.J.!).

I don't have any current translation projects, but I do hope to see at least two reviews of translated books published within the next few months (one really should have been published in 2008, so hopefully that one is well on its way at this point).

B.J. Epstein said...

Thank you, Erika! I am glad that you are working on reviews of translated books -- that's a great translation-related goal!

Best wishes,
BJ

Masood said...
This comment has been removed by the author.